Old 01-22-2012, 04:24 AM
raedar63

Default Attention donation quilters , knitters , crocheters

I just thought I would throw this out there for all of the donation quilters,knitters and crocheters out there.

I currently work as Night shift house nursing supervisior in a local hospital. I have been noticing when I make rounds in the mother baby unit at night all of the girl babies have cute little hats , quilts or afgans while the little boys have on the hospital stockinette caps they put on the babies when they are freshly born and not bathed yet. I finally asked why . The reply was that they hats and blankies are all donated and there are hardly ever enough boy things donated . One nurse even said that if it was gender neutral the item still had pink in it somewhere and these "country boy" dads would never let their baby boy wear pink lol.

The tech took me in the back and showed me the tubs where the donated items were kept. Sure enough there were at least 50 little girl hats and not one boy hat . and out of the 20 or so quilts and afagans there was one little boy one.

So my plea is that those of us who donate to these types of things make more boy items! I bet project linus has the same issue. My next day off I crocheted a little hat . the next night I went to work I took it in. Well just so happens that we had a car pull up to the ED and the baby was already out ! It is in the 20's here so I am happy to say the little guy had a warm and cute little hat to show off after his shocking arrival into the world