View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 01:56 PM
k9dancer

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
you should never use any (grease) on your sewing machines that is not specifically ---SEWING MACHINE OIL---
the Tractor Grease would gum up your works and cause an expensive trip to a repair shop.
you can get sewing machine oil at sewing machine dealers, stores like Joannes, on line at Clotilde's, Nancy's notions, Connecting threads---among many others. do not use products that are not meant for sewing machine- that's a costly mistake.
There is a difference between sewing machine oil and sewing machine grease/lube. Grease/lube is thick, while oil is slippery. Grease/lube is for gears only; oil goes on any other metal to metal places. While it is possible to use a variety of types of grease/lube, oil is much more picky, and I would only use Tri-Flow or sewing machine oil. Using any other type of oil is asking for trouble down the line. I recently serviced a machine that had been oiled with 3 in one oil.....long story short, it took about two months to loosen up the dried on oil, and yes, I worked on it every day.