Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM
CanoePam

I converted two electric 99s to handcrank. It is really quite easy to take the motor off. Just follow the wires where ever they lead and remove them. One of mine had a really old electric "thing" where storage would normally have been in the case. It took a lot more screws to get that one out (some from the bottom of the case) but it was still pretty obvious. I bought my hand cranks from Cindy Peters (look her up on Google). She was very helpful. I also bought a spoked wheel from her (I had one but not two).

My husband just smiles at my people-powered machines. He understands how neat it is to create items truly all by myself. The funny thing is that have worked all my life in high technology as an engineer and manager! I also like to have a handcrank to take camping since we camp at least half the time without electricity. I love having the option to sew if the weather is nasty or at the end of a long day outside. I'm not a very good treadler, but I can do a handcrank without problem!

My bentwood cases will not fit on the machine with the handcrank on, but it is quite easy to take it off with a single screw bolt. I keep saying I'm going to make a little padded bag so I can just store it on the bed of the machine, but I haven't done it yet ...

Pam

Last edited by CanoePam; 01-23-2012 at 08:04 AM.