View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 AM
kellen46

Default There might be a simple fix for your good old Bernina.

[QUOTE=jillmc;4900394]Thanks for all ! I did some stitching today on my old Bernina, and I just love the machine! Even tho she doesn't stop sewing when I let up on the foot pedal, and the decorative stitches no longer work......and a few other "minor" problems. I am going to search for a used Bernina. I already have a ton of feet, including a walking foot...so I hope I can use them on a newer machine. I am used to sewing on this machine, and the Janome 6600 seemed so complicated when the staff member was showing me how to change feet, change bobbins for FMQ, etc. I have posted a wanted ad on CL for a few weeks.....no luck so far, but I will keep renewing the ad. Perhaps the dealer has some used machines that were traded in during the holidays...........will keep you posted!

By any chance....is your old Bernina 830 Record? I have this machine and had this problem. It was not the machine but the foot pedal. So you might have an inexpensive fix. Take it in for a complete cleaning and diagnostic. I have a local Babylock dealer who will work on non computerized Bernina's. ( The Bernina Dealer is 3hours away over the mountains) He fixed it so good that the cams for the decorative stitches now do work and so does the motor speed. The cost was about $100. For some reason I have had to have the foot pedal replaced now two times. But since I bought the machine back in 1973 that is not too bad. It still runs wonderful. By the way the older feet will not work on the newer machines. I also have a 440 which is now my main machine and the 830Record is in honorable retirement and my back up machine.