View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM
janeknapp

Default Problem with quilting density

I knew better but did it anyway. I used dense fill quilting in applique squares (my mother colored these with pencils) and not so dense in the rest of the quilt. The quilt did not lay perfectly flat outside the squares and had a very rippled border after sewing on the binding. I used straight grain binding and pulled to try to lessen the ripple as I sewed, but it wasn't good enough. After removing the binding, I had to do more quilting in the border (twice) and then made gathering stitches by hand along the binding edge. When I restitched the binding, I had removed six inches from the outside edge.

I've learned my lesson to NEVER do this again. However, I do love how it turned out! My mother is in a nursing home (Parkinsons and severe osteoporosis with disformed hands) and all she can do for entertainment is use the Derwent Inktense pencils to color fabric. My sister who is her main caregiver and I draw the designs for her to color. This quilt will go to my sister as a remembrance of this activity.
Attached Thumbnails sandys-quilt-1.jpg