Thread: War Horse Movie
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
quiltmau

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
Millions of horses died during WWI and were slaughtered for food after the armistice. The War marked the end of "horse power" for the developed nations as mechanization advanced. Some men volunteer--some men are drafted but the animals wereallconscripts.

Our ancestors came to America for religious and economic freedom, yes, but we forget that many came to escape the unending wars of Europe in which they were unwilling participants or innocent victims. During our Revolutionary War, peasants from Hess were forced into uniform by their overlord and then sent as mercenaries to America for no reason than to line his pockets.

The official line about the executed dogs was that they were considered too dangerous to be returned to civilian homes. A tragedy, but they were trained to kill.
TRAINED is the operative word here. I have had a military trained dog sit on my lap and give kisses to children. I would trust that dog before I would ever trust and untrained one. The reason they were killed is that they were expendable-just dumb animals-not worth the time or money to bring them home.

MAN is the worst animal out there!!