Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM
DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post

What really got to me was that the material I had planned to use for the outer border is not appropriate. I don't want to spend any more money and planned to piece the backing with a remnant and some leftover fat quarters. I just feel deflated!!!!

Is this when you walk away and wait for a fresh perspective? Should I have noticed something earlier so that I didn't become discouraged?

Thanks for letting me rattle on......
Yes, this is often when I walk away from the project - for lack of the perfect fabric. Sometimes it's just something I want to think about (do I want a pink or a yellow border) and I'll lay it on my cutting table where I see it every time I pass the room.

I've got two at the moment hanging on my design wall. One hung for a while (few weeks) until I decided what color border I wanted and I just haven't gotten it yet. The other has been pieced for several weeks and now I'm mulling over quilting ideas - I like this one enough that I want the quilting to be just right - with luck, I want this to be my first show quilt. So I hung it up and looked at it for long time while I pieced another project (the other one on the wall), the whole time it's in the back of my mind and I think I finally found the quilting motif's I want to use for it, so now I'm practicing those quilting techniques.

I seldom get discouraged when I hit a "writers blank" so to speak. I just move on to something else for a short while and always keep that other project visible as a reminder cause you never know when an idea is going to hit you.

As for your immediate problem that the fabric you planned on using is now not what you want - but you don't want to spend more money on new fabric .... why don't you offer the fabric you have up for a trade for a like amount of fabric here on the QB. Post a picture of what you have - and the quilt top as it is now as folks on here often have great ideas that you may not have considered!! Ask everyone here to trade your fabric for something of theirs that will work (ask for pictures of their fabric of course!).