Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 AM
katykwilt

I do a number of youth quilts for a charity here in Michigan and have never found it a problem to do neutrals. I know I'd unconsciously choose fabric for little girls (because there weren't many choices of fabrics when mine was little), but when I pick fabrics, I pick one or two that are definitely boy or girl, and the rest are neutral. I think we think blue and pink too much. I use beige and white bases and toss in one other color -- like green, orange, yellow, brown, turquoise. Brown as a background can work with many colors to make a neutral quilt. Grey is also a great neutral. A bunch of light grey tones with a white center with a cute elephant will work for any child. Grey w/white and black w/white are two series of colors that are very popular now. With a little punch of color, neutrals or these new modern and geometric fabrics work great for the newest generation. Guess what I'm saying is, don't limit yourself as you design. Go for color, go for design, use the solids for accents -- let those creative juices run wild! The artist in you will love it! (as will the recipient)