View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 06:56 AM
DawnFurlong

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Dawn, Hope your class was fun. Be sure and tell us about any wonderful tips you learned.
Indeed, I did enjoy my class! Still feeling a bit anxious, but am looking forward to jumping in. Went home last night and pulled out my stash of fabric. That was one reason for the class - I was hoping to use up some of the fabric I already have. I think I have a pretty good selection, I shouldn't have to purchase much new (darn it all! - but - gotta keep thinking of my new sewing machine ).

I am going by an office supply store today to get them to "de-bind" my book and 3 hole punch it. Then I will make copies of my first star (using vellum - but only because I can see through it. Several of the ladies in this club indicated vellum wasn't their favorite - and gave their preferences. But they said it does have the advantage of being see through. I'll start there.). Delaware is the first star we are doing.

I do have a question though. I was a bit confused about the 1/4" seam. I know I have to add 1/4" to my paper pattern. But on page 16 of the book, Step 12, it says "trim the foundation 1/4" from the outside as follows:" It looks like she is saying to cut off the 1/4" that I added to my paper pattern??? And yet on page 17, when it shows completing the block - it looks the the 1/4" line is still there. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I will be doing 12" blocks.

I plan on starting my first block tonight!!