View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 07:35 AM
DawnFurlong

Default Singer 15-91 - FMQ question

Okay, just saw a posting on Craig's List in my area for a Singer 15-91 in a sewing table ($100). I'll try to post pictures below. Just sent an email to see if it was still available, this seems like a good price (they indicate it comes with several feet, sews nicely - so sounds like it is in working order).

Here's my question. I understand the feed dogs do drop on this machine. Can anyone tell me approximately how large the harp space is? Also - do you enjoy FMQing on this machine? Is it fairly easy to get the tension right to get going? Also - how does it work for doing things like stitching in the ditch (or cross-hatch work)? Are feet easy to find for this machine?

I have to say that for stippling, right now I do that on my Janome 4800. And I find myself pedal to the metal, wishing for more speed - because I ultimately find it mind-numbingly boring to do a large area of meandering stitch. So am wanting a Brother PQ1500s (larger harp space, faster). However, after much reading on this forum, I find myself looking at these vintage machines. And - I saw my first FW in person last night. Loved, loved, loved it!! But am wondering at the speed factor for FMQing - and how that is on a 15-91. On the other hand - good indication that I need to branch out on my FMQing skills - and start trying some other patterns (which will slow me down).

While I still want the Brother machine, this seems like a good price on this machine. If I get this machine, I am half hoping that I will so love it that I will no longer care about the Brother 1500 (or I will be content enough to put off that purchase for later in the year).
Attached Thumbnails singer-15-91.jpg