Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 PM
deemail

no, of course i wouldn't want to leave in something that kept my quilt from being soft to the touch... think about the end product... and as for processes... there are as many ways to PP as there are quilters... we all do it a bit different...
i make a normal copier copy and then a freezer paper copy.... the copy paper for me is just a permanent map.
I cut my freezer paper into 8.5 x 11 pcs and send them thru my printer (i make all the copies in my printer, so i can have more any time i want. when doing this, draw your design (easy enough to do for most PP blocks are all straight lines....
draw a 1" square somewhere in your pattern, it doesn't matter where, anywhere.... now print a copy....
measure the square.... if it is a teeny smaller than 1" print another copy at 1.1% (available choice on your Print Page).... if it is a bit bigger.... try printing again at .9%.... then you move to .92 or .94.... when you get the % absolutely correct, mark it on your pattern so you won't forget what you used. many of YOUR printer adjustments will be the same, but maybe not, doesn't matter because you will have it on your permanent pattern (the copy paper version)...
when it is perfect, print your freezer paper version.... as many as you need... now cut them all apart (WITH NO SEAM ALLOWANCES) and take them and your stash to an ironing board....
press each pc of freezer paper onto a scrap and move on...
when you have a bunch pressed on, you can either trim or sew and trim...
you will take pcs 1 and 2 and hold them up to a light and match their straight sides... sew (this will happen right along the edge of the freezer paper, WHICH HAS NO SEAM ALLOWANCE... there are on the fabric, but not the paper.
take #3 and rep...til you're done...
when finished with block, press and put aside, taking the next 1 and 2 and doing the whole thing again...
I prefer to iron everything on for this batch (i do a 'bunch' then i do another step, then press on another bunch) and then i trim all the seams. That way, i'm not trying to trim seams that may have cross seams over them.
One friend of mine just gets them close when choosing her scraps and puts the two pcs in a pile for pressing later, being careful not get them separated.
A third friend trims each seam with scissors as she sews... i never use scissors that much any more, but all of us just do it a bit differently...

this way the paper keeps you from having to be exact or straight with the fabric cutting... close is good enough because you are only going by the paper... then when i'm ready to sew one block to another, i pull the paper away... very little of it is in the seam (remember, NO SEAM ALLOWANCE)... so it peels right off.