Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Welcome back, Billy. I have a question for you. I haven't seemed to get a definitive answer to and I can't access the pictures on your tutorial. My computer won't open any pre change pics, but that's not the problem. Will kerosene remove the decals on a 1918 machine - a Redeye to be exact? It's not coming clean and I'm getting impatient. I'm thinking from the smell that 'Grandma' kept the machine very close to a oil burning space heater. I'm ready to soak it in kerosene, but will the decals survive? Thank you, Billy, or anyone else who can give me a clear answer on this. Judy
Be very careful and do it really quick like but it should not hurt the finish. That is why I use Kerosene because its a fuel oil and it has lubricating properties along with cleaning and it is not detrimental to the finishes. But if the decals are exposed it might take them off so I would try a spot on the backside of the machine and see what happens. It will turn kinda gold tannish looking but the Liquid Gold will hide that.

Billy