View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 PM
kitsykeel

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I bought a Brother SE400 from Amazon. It's a combination embroidery/sewing machine and it was on sale. I called a local sewing shop about classes and told them my machine. The woman commented about my machine being mass produced (isn't everything mass produced) so they don't sell the machine and I would have to pay $50 for the class. No problem and I attended the class today. My machine was the simplest one there and the only one a combination machine. During the class again it was mentioned about mass produced vs dealer. What's the difference and is there an "attitude" about buying machines online or at stores other than sewing stores?
Dear Elliegirl, don't you ever feel diminished by any sort of snobs. I started sewing as a young wife and mother when I was 18 years old (53 years ago) on a Featherweight. First thing I made was curtains and slipcovers for my couch and chair. Then I made a lined suit. Did it all on my own, no lessons. I sewed on the FW until 11 years ago when I purchased a Singer cheepie. Have continued to sew for others (mostly bedspreads and curtains and table runners.) Never have I felt guilty or less than a good sewer than anyone who has a machine worth much more money than mine. I now have a Bernina embroidery machine (my Babylock died last year, loved that machine so much) and recently purchased a Singer 401A at Goodwill for $30.00 and it sews beautifully. A lot of money doesn't define what is good and useful. Our use of it does though. Chin up and know that you are alright. Best wishes to you and enjoy sewing on your machine.