View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM
SheriR

I see we've decided to post all 4 blocks at the end of the months, but...I've been working on Alaska for 2 days. (Not slow really, just busy with a bazillion things) And I'm so happy with Alaska for a couple of reasons. So I can't stand to wait until I finish the next two states. I promise I will catch up though. I just did a lot of fussy positioning, although I know it's not perfect, it is 100% better then my Alabama. And I've discovered how to make paper piecing work for me. I sew it backwards? With the paper UP. I position the material with a light, then place it under the foot paper side up because I can see the line through the paper and it's perfect! I'll get caught up now that I have the hang of it and post pics properly next time.

My next reason I am excited about my Alaska, I saw some of you talking about marking blocks somehow. Well, while I was visiting DD in Florida we found the most fun "state" fabric. I grabbed some intending to use it to back my stars. Then I thought what if I fussy cut each state off the print and fussied it again in a corner of my block. I actually love it and I think it will be so fun on each block. However...if y'all hate it, I can redo that part. So I posted a close up for you to see.

My last pic is my scrap pile from trimming after each seam. I know there has been talk about piece size and waste, so I thought I'd show you my trims. I cut according to her sizes, plus I add 1/4 inch. I did that because Alabama came up a tad small and I don't want that to happen again. The extra 1/4" was just enough.

I just love all y'alls stars. Such talent. This is so fun. Thanks Diva for starting this group. <3
Attached Thumbnails alaska2.jpg   alaska3.jpg   alaska1.jpg  

Last edited by SheriR; 01-25-2012 at 10:04 PM.