View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Vanuatu Jill

Originally Posted by AntBird View Post
What are the best quilting fabrics that can be bought? I have been buying just 100% cotton fabrics, but I want to be sure that the better I get at this quilting the better quality of quilts I produce. Seems weird that I would not be doing that now, but it's only because I don't want to mess up on expensive materials. Is that dumb?
I did the exact thing when I was first learning! I bought cheap cotton (that really was all I had available to me while living overseas in Vanuatu-cheap Chinese fabric), but I made 4 or 5 quilts and when I felt a bit more confident and was on holiday in the States, I bought better fabric at Joann's (Keepsake), which at the time was about $4.99/yard. Now, after 12 years of quiltmaking, I use the better fabrics-once you start with the better ones, it is really hard to go back to the cheaper quality. I still find the quality of the name brands at Joann's as good as most I have seen at a LQS, and with their sales and coupons, I still never pay more than around $6.99/yard. I would be horrified if I screwed up and wasted good fabric!!