View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Denise S

Great question and great answer! Now I get it!

Originally Posted by suern3
I use scrap pieces for leaders to keep from having a little "bird's nest" at the beginning of the blocks and to keep the machine from pulling the fabric into it. But what confuses me about then using these scraps for a quilt is how are the pieces "good enough" to use? Why wouldn't they be the same as or have the same problems that you are protecting your original block from? Hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I think the object is to always have something connected to your thread ends which prevents the problems you are trying to avoid. The ender is left attached to the thread and becomes your leader for the next time you start a seam. This way you don't have any pieces that are not "good enough to use". The only time you have to deal with those annoying issues becomes when you change your thread.
This doesn't apply to quilting. Only when you are doing your piecing, sewing strips, etc., where you have lots of starts and stops. For strip piecing, I still use leaders and enders for each strip.