View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
AudreyB

Are you going to teach just the patchwork or all steps including quilting and binding? If you are teaching everything, they will need to bring supplies to the first class or they won't have time to get everything done.

I teach a course that is 6 classes. The first class is the basics (rotary cutting, 1/4" seam, the parts of a quilt, fabric selection, machine maintenance, etc). The second class is making a four patch/focus fabric quilt. The third class we make triangles and flying geese. Everyone makes the blocks then I put them together into a charity quilt from the class. Week 4 is sashes and borders. Week 5 is sandwiching and quilting. Week 6 is binding, sleeves, and labels.

Each week is 3 hours and we cover all aspects of quilting. I have oversimplified what is covered each week, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

You will get students who haven't sewn for 20 years and will need basic help. You will also get students who are self-taught quilters who want to know the right way to do it. Be prepared for all levels.

I hope this helps.