Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to the vintage sewing world. I bought a Singer 15-91 last summer and have finally gotten brave enough to get her cleaned up and refurbished. (Her name is Beth!) I've been using Billy's tutorials as a starting place, but wasn't sure if I should remove some of the shuttle and the feed dogs. Any advice or pictures about working in this area?

Thank you!
Carrie Ivey
Carrie welcome aboard! First if you follow Billy's tutes on cleaning the vintage machines - that is all you need. You do not have to completely disassemble the machine. I agree with Charlee. Why do you want to remove the shuttle? I take it you don't mean the shuttle, but the shuttle case as the shuttle just pops in and out? I have several very old machines, the oldest one is 1883 and I didn't remove the shuttle case/race or feed dogs on any of them. Just clean them really good, oil oil oil and use them! There is no reason to remove everything unless you are going to paint the machine. Besides, you could end up messing the machine up permanently because if you lose or break a part, those parts are very hard to find!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 01-27-2012 at 06:40 AM.