View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 AM
SueSew

Originally Posted by SandyQuilter View Post
The Mariner's Compass has been hand pieced accurately without paper piecing for years. Any shape, no matter how small can be hand pieced. However, how many now feel that PP is the only way to be accurate and not stretch the fabric? That's simply not true. I'm now PP some blocks, but still prefer to hand piece. You also do not need to starch fabric to be accurate. I started teaching quilting in the mid-70s after teaching myself how to quilt and written three books on how to do it. Now, obviously, the rotary cutter and other wonderful rulers are terrific innovations, but nothing beats being accurate with cutting, maintaining an even 1/4 inch seam--whether by hand or machine--and careful pressing.
I've been reading comments about how starch keeps the fabric stiff and makes piecing accurate. In my estimation, it's time wasted when I could be piecing. The trick is to spend time learning how to handle the fabric so that it doesn't stretch. I apologize in advance if I've ruffled some feathers, but I've wanted to say this for some time, especially for new beginners. Perhaps the answer is that what is successful for you is what you should do. But I want to get to a accurate, finished product as simply and quickly as possible with the minimum of fuss.
SandyQuilter
You must be in agreement with Sally Collins, whose books espouse the same dedication to precision piecing - she does a lot of 3" blocks without paper. I think she said anybody can be accurate the paper-piecing way - I guess that is a two-sided comment depending on your viewpoint.