View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Buckeye Rose

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
I have been following this thread and just had to comment on your post. For many years Kenvore machines were made by Janome, as are New Home. Most of the big machines manufacturers were more than willing to make their machines for big retailers to be sold under a private label. Brother also makes machines for others. I noted a post that thought that the machines sold by JoAnns, Walmart had cheaper parts, not entirely true, unless they change a model number or private label it in someway. I teach sewing classes locally one on one and have seen so many machines that I can tell you that unless someone needs fancy stitches, if it straight stitches, zig zags, goes forward and reverse its really about all one needs other than a zipper foot. A lot of the old singers only did straight stitching, and forward/reverse and some dropped their feed dogs, not all. Perfect for quilting. Give me vintage metal gears any day over the plastic junk that is computerized and has gears guaranteed to disintegrate. I am sure some of the top of the line machines have better service records than others, but for me I know what I do not need. There is no place for snobbery in the marketplace, no wonder those people had business failures.
I had a brother cs6000i and loved her while she was working, and I did work her daily, even fmq on a king sized quilt. The machine did everything I asked until the day she locked up (after 3 years of use). The repairman said she was toast as the plastic gears had stripped, so I bit the bullet and bought a Janome 6600. I could tell right from the start that this was a well built machine. I haven't regretted the cost once and I am sure that she will outlast me by many years. A new brother, Singer, or any of the other "cheap" brands may be appealing, but think twice. They will not last with the constant use a quilter puts a machine through. The older Singers, like previously mentioned are still good machines because of the metal parts and simplicity of design, but the new ones are mostly junk. JMHO