View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Denise S

Interesting. I wondered if anyone was of this opinion. I am mostly self-taught over the past 15-20 years. Eleanor Burns quilt-in-a-day books was my start. I have not done anything too fancy. I did start out with a rotary cutter, though. But, for years I did not even know what a bias was, it never even occurred to me to use starch or sizing, I was taught to always prewash, I never heard of precuts, etc.

I have been reading this board for a year ot two and have learned a lot! It is always fun to try different techniques to see if you like it. Right now I am experimenting with precuts, not prewashing, different battings, different basting methods, more modern patterns, etc.

Although, I must say, because of reading this board (which I love), I find myself stressing or questioning myself over a technique that has been working efficiently and well for me for years. I call it "information overload".

I agree with you about finishing a quilt accurately, simply, and efficiently as possible....having fun and enjoying the whole process.

Originally Posted by SandyQuilter View Post
The Mariner's Compass has been hand pieced accurately without paper piecing for years. Any shape, no matter how small can be hand pieced. However, how many now feel that PP is the only way to be accurate and not stretch the fabric? That's simply not true. I'm now PP some blocks, but still prefer to hand piece. You also do not need to starch fabric to be accurate. I started teaching quilting in the mid-70s after teaching myself how to quilt and written three books on how to do it. Now, obviously, the rotary cutter and other wonderful rulers are terrific innovations, but nothing beats being accurate with cutting, maintaining an even 1/4 inch seam--whether by hand or machine--and careful pressing.
I've been reading comments about how starch keeps the fabric stiff and makes piecing accurate. In my estimation, it's time wasted when I could be piecing. The trick is to spend time learning how to handle the fabric so that it doesn't stretch. I apologize in advance if I've ruffled some feathers, but I've wanted to say this for some time, especially for new beginners. Perhaps the answer is that what is successful for you is what you should do. But I want to get to a accurate, finished product as simply and quickly as possible with the minimum of fuss.
SandyQuilter

Last edited by Denise S; 01-27-2012 at 01:26 PM.