View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Fabriclovr

I have read through this post and it makes me sick to think that a 'teacher' would look down on the machine that is being used by a new student! They should be concentrating on the student and any good teacher, should be able to teach the basics on any machine purchased from any location. Insisting that they pay for the class, ok, I can understand that because they didn't buy the machine from the dealer and most dealers give complementary starter classes if you purchase a machine from them.

I look at it this way, buy what you can comfortably afford, if that means a machine from Walmart, then buy it, if it means a 10k TOL machine from a dealer, then buy it. It is what makes you happy and you don't have to apologize for using the machine you love. Lots of quilters use vintage machines. Lots of new quilters use the machine that was handed down to them from their mother or grandmother. You don't need all of the bells and whistles to do this craft (dont get me wrong, they are nice) but they are not necessary. If your machine can sew a straight stitch and is in good working order and you are comfortable with it.. USE IT and be proud of it!

Machine snobs.. give me a break, geese!