Old 01-28-2012, 11:09 AM
margecam52

Here is what I would do...I would add a small sashing around the block...
Cut the block down to center the design (remove the same amount you cut off the one side). Cut a strip of a complementing fabric (or the background fabric)...say 2" to start...sew on all four sides.....now, carefully trim the block to center the design and make the block 12-1/2" square...you may end up with a 1/4" strip all around when finished.
Another thing you can doIs add a small appliqued flower/star, bug...something that goes with the design to the side that has too much fabric...that will even out the placement.

Hope this helps some.

Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post
I could just bawl and tear my hair out. I have been working on a quilt for my 7 year old granddaughter. One block is entirely applique. Have never done this before and if I never do it again that will be too soon! Well anyway, I have put everything on the background and ironed everything on. Looks ok but really need lots of practice with this. I was to cut the block now to 12 1/2 inches. I made one cut and realized I should not have done this!! Now my block is way off center because of the way I made that one cut. Can I just take the applique's off and spray baste them onto another piece of background? I do not have enough material to cut everything out and start all over again and after the trouble I had I really wouldn't want to do this either. Can the applique pieces be saved!!!!