Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
DawnFurlong

Well, I took off the 3 pin terminal, took off the housing to the motor. And - discovered that all wires needed replacing. I think I could have handled replacing the wires for the light, the power cord, and the foot pedal. I can see where the connectors are, they are clearly labeled + or -, have found wiring schematics, instructions - would have done that on my own.

But - the wiring to the motor - not sure about that. Plus it looked like it needed a good cleaning inside as well. Did not look so simple as undoing connectors and reattaching wires.

I was planning on getting it serviced (cleaned/tuned up) in February. I have already spoken several times with someone here who services these machines. Very nice gentleman, lots of info over the phone, tips on where to get supplies, very helpful. It would have been $62.50 for the servicing (he will come to your house or you can take your machine in). For a total rewire plus cleaning/tuneup and I believe he said stitched out (I have seen that term - thinking it means everything is done, it's ready to go) - that will be $150. He will have my machine for less than a week. She has no rust or other signs of deterioration. Just the wiring.

While I would like to do it myself - think I will be more stressed trying to figure out the wiring on the motor, how to clean, etc.

Learning a lot, got her out of the cabinet, poked around the other areas, I know better where to look on the next machine I purchase. Will be taking screw drivers with me the next go round - and will not be so timid. I spent considerable time looking at how she sewed, how it was to FMQ on her, the lady explained different attachments and demonstrated. If I had known better what I was looking for with the rest though, and not been more timid about asking to take apart the machine when I went to look for it - I would have offered less. Lesson learned. I love the cabinet, I figure I probably overpaid by about $50. So, I am not going to spend too much time regretting that. Because past this - she is a lovely machine. Decals still in tact, very pretty lady! And I can't wait to sew on her again!!

Last edited by DawnFurlong; 01-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.