View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Christine-

Default My great great grandfather

The photos I included aren't the actual quilt blocks. I only received the first month's blocks last week. The photos are the "plan" I created. I printed pictures of the 4 smaller quilts, enlarged 150%. Then I cut them apart and rearranged them to include blocks I would use for photo transfers. When I got them arranged the way I wanted them I took pictures of them so I wouldn't forget!

Yes, my great great grandfather entered the war when it started, 4 long years, having enlisted 6 Jul. 1861 in Company D, 4th Iowa Infantry. According to historical & biographical records from Decatur county, Iowa, he fought in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou; Arkansas Post; First and Second battles of Jackson, Mississippi; Champion Hill; Siege of Vicksburg; Brandon, Mississippi; Chattanooga; Mission Ridge; In the Atlanta Campaign and in the battles of Jonesboro & Savannah. He was wounded in the head by a piece of shell at Chickasaw Bayou and was shot through the clothing at Vicksburg. Honorably Discharged at Davenport, Iowa 6 Aug. 1865.

So he participated in the burning of Atlanta. In Vicksburg the battle lasted about a month. His job was driving the ambulance, army mules pulling a wooden wagon.

He named one of his son's William Tecumseh, after Sherman. William Tecumsah is my great grandfather.
There's a photo of my gggrandfather here:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=13532608&