View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 PM
kaylfordsollimo

Well, I've read all of the previous 82 posts and have not seen one that matches my situation so here goes. I have lived alone in a 3-bedroom rancher since my younger son moved out on his own. His bedroom (12 x 12 with a wall-to-wall closet) became my sewing room, but lots of fabric was stored in the cabinets in the laundry room at the opposite end of the house. Son #1's bedroom had become the guest room. A few years ago, I decided to have two skylights installed in the master bedroom (20 x 24). All furniture had been removed so that I could paint that room after skylights were done. One day I found myself standing there loving the natural light and seeing the trees (it is a wooded area) and I decided that it was going to be a waste using it to sleep in. My house! I could do whatever I wanted with the space. Then and there it became my sewing room. All of my fabric was moved into the double closets and additional shelves I brought in. Cutting table, sewing tables, ironing board, etc. I have the bathroom, a TV, my recombinant bike, two sewing machines and a serger all set up. I can close the door, if I don't want anyone to see my mess. Son #2's bedroom became the master (fortunately the furniture all fit). Mind you there is a 54 x 44 basement with poured concrete walls that were insulated and drywalled, a concrete floor, lots of electric outlets sitting under the house. It houses two Christmas trees and items being stored for each of the sons. No regrets! Moral of the story... Do what feels good to you.