View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Teacup

Default I passed up a Singer 99 for $20

Today I was in an antique shop and on the floor I saw a bentwood case in not very good shape sitting askew over a machine. I picked up the cover and saw a Singer 99 in what looked like pretty fair condition. The wooden base around the machine was in pieces, very bad shape. But the machine itself likely would have cleaned up OK. I didn't inspect too closely. There were several feet included. Price was $38 on the tag and a paper attached to the top said it was half off.

I already have a Centennial 99 in beautiful condition. I think this one was a few years older. I'm not in the market for another 99 and I'm not looking for another old machine restoration project (I'm trying to restore a 201 right now). But I keep wondering if I had brought it home whether I would have been able to resell and return any profit on it. I could clean it up and oil it but don't really want to rewire or get into anything else. The case was in such bad shape that it was worthless. I'm not sure that the machine would go for much without the case. I also would have the aggravation of finding a buyer and if on Ebay, having to safely pack it for shipping.

What would you have done? If anyone near Springfield, IL, wants to know where to find it, send me a PM.