View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 AM
DogHouseMom

Default Tension issues 28wt thread

I'm going through a series of practice quilt sandwiches, testing different threads, different thread combinations, different needles - and at the same time practicing different quilting motifs (trying to get the hang of feathers).

I started with a Sulky 12wt thread (top and bottom with a size 14 needle), and there was so much fuzz from the thread that at one point a giant glob of thread fuzz fell of the needle, onto my work, and before you could say 'stop' I had quilted it onto my work. I immediately dismissed that combination as a good one and decided I had better clean the machine while I was at it. While brushing the needle area I noticed some fuzz on the outside rim of the tension disc cover so I brushed it off. I then ... probably stupid idea ... thought that if there was fuzz on the outside, there might be fuzz on the inside of the discs so I put my brush in there and gave each side a swipe.

Well now I have an Auifil 28wt in the top and an Aurifil 50wt in the bobbin and I can't for the life of me get the tension right. I then tried a 40wt in the bobbin, and I still can't get the tension right.

Did I screw up my tension discs by giving them a swipe with my brush, or am I having different tension/thread issues??