View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

so, i am about 1/2 way through my California block---had to leave my sewing room for a bit---i was sewing away and suddenly the smoke alarm started going off---we were freaking out-all over the house---my Iron bit the dust!
it seems it was *on fire* inside! it was not scorching my ironing board- it was not the plug in---i unplugged it and set it outside the room on the washing machine while hubby and i were all over my sewing room-trying to figure out what was happening---10 minutes after it was unplugged -picked it up and it was HOT, HOT! the handle area- and back of it---we could only assume it was actually buring inside! so took it out to the snow bank---was afraid to have it in the house even unplugged-
it was an old iron- but one i really had an attachment to
we went out to check on it a few minutes ago- it burned right down through the snow to the ground- and is still hot although not (on fire hot) any longer-
i do have a brand new iron- been on the closet shelf for a long time- so got it out- but decided after all that i needed to just walk away for a bit-
and let the buring smell disapate from the room
so, here i am---
anyway- the stars i've seen are WONDERFUL as usual
i will go in and finish mine sometime today (maybe)
after i get over the trauma---
we've been talking about this---and think - what if i had unplugged it and we had left? we may have come home to no home---since it was obviously burning inside- after it had been unplugged --- i've always been so careful to unplug my iron when i leave the room---now i'm feeling (paranoid) that it isn't enough...
i'm sure i will get over it---
anyhow---