View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Sew Freak

I have a sewing room on the main floor and a craft\sewing room in the basement. I really hated the way when I begin a project and the mess just multiplies faster than rabbits. I had my DH make me a room off one corner of the basement and it is a w e s o m e!!!! This was just recently completed so I am taking down stuff I would use in the pre-sewing phase. In other words, my plan is to cut out the majority of patterns and material downstairs to hopefully keep the upstairs room 'relatively' clean. I hate looking at the mess cut pieces and clipped threads make on the floor and I'm not able to clean them up 'relatively' (there's that word again and used as optional in both cases) quickly. I realize we don't all have a basement or if we do, we don't have someone to transform it for us. But if you do....go deep!!! I love my craft\sewing room downstairs! My DH made me a 4x8 formica top (that he made-he glued the formica to particle board) with two storage cubes under to support the top instead of legs. I do have an egress window in this room and three lights, but I want to get long tube lighting. He's made shelving off to one end of the room and on each sided of the egress window there are shelf units approx. 24" wide x 18" deep. He cut a pieced of plywood to put under the window to serve as a shelf and under that he made me another shelving unit that I use to keep supplies in storage boxes I got from Wal-Mart. It is really nice....I love it down there. I have a couple of machine plus a serger down there and I can make my cutting mess and when done, if I have to stop for any reason, I can just walk away and I don't care what it looks likes. Oh..one of the nice bits of this room is the door to it. We got two 12 pane oak framed glass doors at a garage sale for $50.00 and DH used one for my craft room and one for his Man Cave! (awesome!!) (I love getting stuff at gs's) And now for the best part....(drum roll) DH wants to learn how to sew!!!! A W E S O M E....do I say that too much...sorry...but....A W E S O M E!!! He has some things to get finished on main floor (painting, patching) and then we are going to get him started sewing. He's already done some practice stitching on some plaid flannel followin the lines...
oh, we are empty nesters...(can you say 'H E A V E N L Y!!!' )..so this will give him something to do to keep busy....I can't wait...I've been wanting someone to sew with for a long time! My one DD lives a 2hr. round trip away and the other lives in WI. So, 40MPHK9, use up as much basement as you can and enjoy!!!!....oh, I do use a dehumidifier and heater for when it gets too cold. Let us know what you decide and have fun! (don't forget pics!!!)