Old 01-29-2012, 03:26 PM
auntnana

Default Newbie quilter with a question on cutting fabric

Hello! I've been reading on this board for quite some time and finally decided to register. I've been an avid embroiderer for many years now and have always wanted to take up quilting. My grandmother and her 5 daughters all quilted so I figure it's just in my blood. My Dad told me how when he was growing up they used to all work on one quilt at a time. The quilting frame was tied to a pulley on the ceiling and they would lower it at night and then raise it to get it out of the way. With 9 people in a 4 room house I can imagine space was at a minimum. I've always been interested in sewing and started making clothes when I was in my early teens and been at it for 25 years now. My first atempt at a quilt a year or so ago I just jumped right in and cut, sewed, quilted, finished. Not real pretty but not totally bad either. Anywho, I decided I'd better learn some about it before I tackle any more projects. I bought a ton of books and have been reading and learning a lot. I find myself constantly saying to myself "well that's how it's done!".
Anywho I've come across a question I can't seem to find an answer to so I figured this was the place to ask. When a pattern calls for yardage, say 2 yards of this fabric, 1 1/2 of that fabric, etc. do you cut the fabric into managable lengths before cutting it to size? Say for instance, do you cut it into 1/2 yard lengths to get it straight and align the fabric grain?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated by this newbie!