View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Pete

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I saw a lady demo HER version at the quilt show in OKcity and figured I could make my own version of it. AFterall, it is only a pressing bar, like a tailors HAM.
I bought a piece of Oak 1/4 round trim molding at Lowes, had my DH cut it the lengths I wanted and then glued two piece together to get the shape I needed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306285[/ATTACH]

then I covered the oak stick with a layer of insulbrite and a layer of duck canvas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306286[/ATTACH]
I then stapled it all with a heavy duty stapler, and tapped the staples down smooth with a tiny hammer. I think the end result is nice, but a bit wider than hers though, but that is really not an issue at all. The purpose of having the rolled top is so that the seams press open cleanly! By using unwashed duck cloth I can now steam it to shrink it down nicely! **This view is of the bottom, not the top where I will be pressing!**
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306287[/ATTACH]
costs, trim was $6.00, and I got the 18" and a 30" stick out of that. I bought 1/3 yard each of insul-brite and duck canvas for only $4.65, the staples I had. It took all of 40 minutes to make these. YAY for me! Now to see how well this works...I had a tailors sleeve ham but it did not have a small enough hump for the seams..this appears to just right!
And to think I almost bought one! Thanks a bunch.