View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
JamieQ

Default My Featherweight is trying to kill me!

I have a ~1935 Featherweight I have had since 1996. I haven't used it for several years (probably 8-- maybe more) but recently got it out again and made a "shocking" discovery.

At first I though I had stuck my wrist with a pin. Ow! Then I let my daughter stitch a line (I was teaching her) and she complained that the bed of the machine scratched her left wrist . Hmmmm....

I tried stitching again, no pain at first and then-- there it was again!

Then I noticed that when I had both shoes off, (bare feet on tiled floor) or one foot tucked under me, my wrist stung when I sewed. When I slipped at least one (rubber soled) shoe on and kept that foot on the floor-- no pain!

Well, those of you smarter than I am have already figured it out, I'm sure--- my machine was shocking me! It never did this before! Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? DH is a fixit type, and if it's something relatively simple like an unshielded power cord or something, he can fix it. If it may be something inside, he won't touch it because , in his words, "if I mess up your Featherweight, I know you'll divorce me!"

Any ideas? There are VERY few places in my neck of the woods to get ANY sewing machine fixed-- much less my precious! (It was made the day my mother was born and I found it and bought it for a ridiculously low price 2 days after she passed away.)