Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 AM
KR

Originally Posted by NDQuilts View Post
Is anyone thinking about redrafting some blocks? Some have that little border around the edge, and I'm contemplating sizing things up enough to eliminate it. For example BR1, it would be easy to extend the interior seams to the edge. But on the other hand that little strip eliminates exterior bias. Thoughts?
I redrafted several of the triangles to eliminate the BF border. Mainly because I'll be using BF for the alternating triangles (like Lacelady's) and thought it would be too much "white" space. But also it decreased the number of pieces! :-) Then spray starched each one before trimming.

RE using different fabrics.....each of my blocks is a different fabric. For the triangles I chose mid-tones of those used in the blocks so the borders would look visually balanced. The corners are all reddish patterns. Cornerstones and binding will be another coordinating red.

Went back through all the blocks this weekend and cut out the BF behind appliqued pieces. I'm strongly considering hand quilting and this will eliminate a layer. Now back to putting on sashings.

Your blocks are all looking soooo good! Keep up the great work, ladies!!

PS: If you haven't already, you might want to check out www.thatquilt.com as a reference for constructing blocks. I don't care for her freezer paper method but many times used her sequences of construction.

Last edited by KR; 01-30-2012 at 06:44 AM.