Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM
grammatjr

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
What you have done so far is very pretty! Do you make individual pieces, quilt them and THEN join them together? Sure would make quilting a lot easier! Can't wait to see the finished product.
I did the heart string blocks on muslin, then sewed some setting triangles to them. These I sandwiched and quilted, leaving alot of extra backing all around. I will then put all the pieces together at the end and do a fold over of the excess backing as a seam on the back. I only have a domestic to do my quilting on, so had to handle it all in smaller pieces.

I am trying to write it up into a pattern as I go along. I know of a couple other weddings coming up, so this weekend I rewrote my pattern into a way I can do all the scrappy fabrics for the setting triangles in neutrals and do most of the quilting ahead of time, then when I know a wedding is acutally coming, get the couple to select a jelly roll to make the heart strings. I will take their photo and finish up the portrait center. And in no time, it could be done!

It basically is two pieces like the one shown - a heart string block, a feathered triangle, and a few setting triangles. These are the 2 side panels. Then the center panel has two heart string blocks and more setting triangles on either end, and the portrait square in the middle.

After joining all the pieces, I will do some straight stitching to surround the decorative quilting from block to block.

Last edited by grammatjr; 01-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.