Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM
ColleenDee

Default Martelli Large Contrasting Cutting Mat 26 X 38

I am thinking of buying the Martelli large contrasting cutting mat 26 X 51 and wondered if anyone else has this one, and if you do what do you like or dislike about it? It is supposedly the Cadillac of rotary cutting mats, and can withstand being rolled up or heat. But in doing some research and seeing one of these mats in my favorite local quilt shop I really like the style, color [it can be flipped over so you can choose which side you want to cut from based on your fabric [light or dark]. It has some nice measurement features and cutting guidelines that are also cool. This one is definately pricey and right now I can get it for around $118, which includes the shipping. Other mats, not as comparable price wise or features are going to be around say $60-$75.

Just so you know I don't plan on rolling it up, I have a nice sewing table that it will go on. But I am intriqued by the "heat resistent" part of this mat. I just recently did a dumb thing...., totally my bad, instead of going to my ironing board to do some applique pressing, I put an ironing mat on my cutting table, but never thought about removing my 24 X 36 Fiskars rotary cutting mat that I have had for years...., so needless to say I now have a nice ripple effect in it and of course it won't lie flat anymore! Now let me also say, that I also don't plan on ever ironing on my cutting table or new rotary cutting mat when I get one again..., but I may have another senior moment some day and "forget". So I would love some input from folks on this "idea" that I have. Thanks!!