Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Jan in FL

Default Have you ever been unable to cut straight strips?

I was cutting 2" strips this past weekend from a piece of fabric that I had not used before. I do not remember where I got it but it was not the best quality. I tried to straighten the edge as I always do. I proceeded to cut eight strips and realized they were all "V'd" in the crease. So, I started the process all over again, complete with pressing, cutting a straight edge with the rotary cutter and ruler. This time, I cut a narrow strip. Again, it had a"V" in the crease. I decided to pull a thread from selvage to selvage to find the true straight of the material. Cut again and the same problem. i held the fabric up to the light and the crossgrain threads were so wonky all the way through the fabric. They were not straight at all. They were actually wavy lines. I just gave up. I am so glad I did not use that fabric in my quilt. It was a solid black and I had another better quality piece. My first cut and all after were perfect. I just wondered if you have ever had this problem. Aside from the fact that the fabric was poor quality, what was I doing wrong? Would the crossgrain threads cause this problem?