View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
sandrakayw

Question hand quilting vs machine quilting

My husband and I have been having an extended discussion! I'm making a very, very large mariners compass...at his request. He wants me to add borders, more details, etc. to make this into a queen sized quilt. Then he wants me to hand quilt the whole thing and I'm just having a hissy fit about it. I am trying to convince him that most people machine quilt or hire a LAQ to do the huge quilts. He has made me a gorgeous cherry quilting frame...and I do appreciate it, but I don't feel like spending months hand quilting a quilt while leaning over this frame. His mother was an excellent quilter and did everything by hand.....many, many years ago. He thinks this is the way it still should be done. I feel I should say...pick up a needle and you do the quilting then! Can you tell I'm upset? I've done a lot of handquilting on lap and baby quilts, but the thought of doing a queen sized quilt just overwhelms me. I really believe hand quilting is a lovely art, but I don't feel like it's the only way to end up with a beautiful quilt. SO....I told him I would take a survey and see what the rest of you think.
How many of you still hand quilt, or do you do some by hand, some by machine, and some by LAQ? I think he needs to see some answers in print to realize I"m not the only woman that feels this way. He's such a wonderful husband, but on this subject....we totally see things differently. HELP! What is your opinion?