View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 AM
GramMER

Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
This morning I was parked in the lot across the street from the back of JoAnn's and I saw a JA employee dumping items into a large trash bin. She was tearing the end off small rolls, then unrolling the item (appeared to be ribbon) from the roll and throwing the whole thing into the bin. I know there are some members of this board who have been/are employed by JA and I was wondering if they or anyone else might know why perfectly good items would be thrown away as opposed to donating to schools, senior center, etc. I am not trying to cause trouble for JA, just wondering what might be going on....thanks.
I cannot vouch for why JoAnne's employees would do that, but when I worked for Mill Fabrics and Cloth World years ago, we used to do the same thing with patterns. As a style went out we were required to cut the envelope apart and then dump all the pattern pieces into the trash. Some employees used to make their own envelopes and write the pattern numbers and sizes on them and save the pattern pieces. That was illegal and they could have gotten themselves into a lot of trouble that way. I also think some found they never used those "savings" because they could not visualize the end product like they might have if they could have saved the pictures or the pattern envelope.

I really think it has to do with future sales. Patterns especially return after so many years because styles change. You can find old patterns online these days and people still make good money off them. Mind you they may cost $1 in stead of $10 or $20, but someone is making money.

I cannot explain the ribbon being wasted. Schools surely should be given a chance to use them in art or home economics classes. Now you know my age, because nobody teaches home economics these days. I can never remember what they call that class these days. It has nothing to do with sewing skills though.