Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM
WilliP

Been there, done that --- love my mother dearly, but she has in the past been my quilting stumbling block with her --- grandma would've done it such and sew --her grandmother was a wonderful seamstress in the nineteenth century and no treadle in her life! My first quilting attempts produced so many toe catchers, but they were mine. Finally got back into quiloting a few years ago and I would be sorely tempted to flush the anally retentive instructor --there wouldn't be a straight grain to work with taking a seam out that often, I don't care how carefully one picks apart a seam. I am learning that the qtr inch foot is my friend and to pit it aside for a while when I make the same mistake more than twice in the same spot. The pieces will be there when I get done with my cup of tea and the latest quilting magazine!

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I don't think anyone's first quilt is destined to be their worst, any more than their first pot roast will be their worst. I DO think your SIL needs to find someone besides those quilt shop instructors to learn from or she's apt to wind up never finding the joy in quilting. Sounds like they've gone way beyond being 'quilt police' right into being 'quilt gestapo'...ripping one seam 30 times, really??! That's SO wrong.