View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Denise S

First, I am so impressed! Another cyclist who quilts....and a guy no less!! Will have to share this with my husband (a machinist who rides also)

I have ridden the fixed gear on the track (velodrome), soo cool. I ride (and raced a bit) road bikes, I enjoy mountain bikes, tandems, but the road is my true love. Would love to get a fixed gear, and I do love the minimalist of technology in it...kind of brings you back to when you were a kid. I would be hard-pressed to ride a fixie in my traffic-congested area...would have to drive a short ways first, and be off-traffic hours.

And Yes, I do like inflicting pain on myself...that kind of goes with the sport. Also very cool that you have built them up yourself! Hey, I don't know if your wife rides, but tandems can be fun.

Sorry to other board members for this "off topic" topic!

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead View Post
Yes. I do ride fixed gear bikes. I have ridden bikes all my life but they usually were road bikes and race bikes. About 4 years ago I tried out a fixed gear bike and became hooked. Now I have a basement full of them in various styles and price ranges. All of them have been built by me, or converted, by me, from a road bike usage. If you love inflicting pain on yourself, you must try riding one uphill for a serious distance. They reduce the act of bicycling to the bare minimum of technology. Great sport for the not so faint of heart. And now, for your added pleasure, they are "Oh so Trendy".
John