Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
windylou

Let's see - I'd say I'm relatively new at quilting, but I have been sewing small projects by hand (hemming and the like) since I was a kid and sewing easy to med difficulty since then too. I'm mid-30's, but have never hand quilted on a quilt.

The hoop is big. BIG. It's bigger than my rear end, but I did try my hand tonight while watching tv. I just went around the outside of the stars. I got almost two rows done around one of the stars. I didn't mind the hoop at all - it helped me keep my place and keep everything in one spot. One of my kittens thought the hoop was a fun place to sit and play, so I don't think I had the fabric too tight, as there was plenty of give when he plopped down.

I buy a lot of vintage sewing notions, and I had my pick of a ton of old needles. I don't know what size I was using, but it was pretty comfortable in my hand. I definitely need a thimble - I can see going a lot faster if I wasn't so worried about poking myself.

I guess I just had jitters earlier. This quilt top, even though it is vintage and very cool, doesn't have sentimental value for me. Also it is very stained in several places, so I'm not going to sweat my stitching or any hoop residue too much.

It was a nice way to pass the time. Thanks for the encouragement ladies/gents (?) !

I will post some photos once I get more done.