Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 AM
1000projects

Default Carpenter's Wheel with borders... Thank you ThePolyParrot!

Back in December I went to a quilt retreat.... I wanted to do a complicated project for a "master bedroom" king sized quilt. (At home, I have a toddler running around which makes complex patterns extra challenging) I posted on this board here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t170476-2.html
asking for advice and ThePolyParrot came up with a carpenter's star with boarder.

At the retreat, I made it! I had a huge bag of pre-cut 3.5" squares (black, white, red) from another member of quiltingboard. I sewed like a maniac and not only assembled this top, I also turned several "block pile" UFOs into finished quilt tops. I am now a huge believer in pre-cut squares... and also in the amazingness of QB! Obviously there is no way a 60" quilt top is going to be stretched into a king sized bed quilt. I would have had to make bigger half triangle squares, make the center 4X, or have a huge huge border. It is perfect at this size, and is the first real Wall Quilt in our home - despite years of quilting.

I made a cutting error on the inner border and added a grey stripe to fix it ... this has actually enhanced the quilt I feel!

Thank you so much PolyParrot!

Quilted on a Voyager 17" longarm on a Bernina frame. 2 colors of cotton topstitching thread.
Attached Thumbnails dscn1002.jpg   pomegranite-boy-new-quilt-599.jpg