Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

You can probably use an embroidery hoop with a low loft batting but it will be a battle getting the outer ring on going over 2 layers of fabric and batting. The spring loaded ones aren't meant to go over that much thickness and it will be difficult for you to get the tension correct for quilting. Eventually you will stretch out the spring so you will no longer be able to use your hoop for embroidery. I recommend getting a quilt hoop, the kind you tighten the outer ring with a wing nut. The cheap wooden ones sold at Jo-Annes don't last. I agree with Up North try to find an older one at a garage/yard sale or thrift store or on line. I have a plastic no slip one that is made out of some kind of heavy duty plastic composite and really like it. I paid considerably more for it than the el-cheapo wood ones cost but to me it was worth the extra cost. It is durable and works very well and for as many quilts as I have done with this hoop I suspect I would have gone through multiple cheapy wood ones.

There are some very nice wood ones made of hardwood as well.