Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Jim's Gem

I'm glad that Connie asked the question. I was wondering what the weight loss was that won the prize. That's a lot of weight for one month.

I have a "Fatty Liver" my endocrinologist makes me go to a nutrition class taught by a retired nutritionist. Everyone else in the class is diabetic. I am not. However Mary (the nutritionist) stresses NO SUGAR or Sugar substitutes. No Chips, Crackers or "Snack" foods. No fried foods, stay away from Fast food. No white flour, white rice etc., only whole grains. 2 meals a day we must have at least one cup of cooked vegetables and 1/2 to 1 cup of beans. Those of us over 200 lbs must add a little more protein to that meal. Choose first from Swimmers, fish and seafood, then from 2 legged, chicken, turkey, poultry etc. (wild meat would fall under this category for those who hunt) then from dairy, low-fat (doesn't have to be non-fat) cottage cheese etc, then eggs and last of all, only rarely if we must, from 4 legged, beef, pork, lamb. (no more than once a week) I find that eating the beans (and your body does get used to it) and veggies fills me up and I do not feel the need to snack. I have been able to avoid almost all deserts, I just havn't felt like eating them. For breakfast I do eat 2 eggs every day and usually mix in a little bit of ham and veggies.
I cut out the sugar and cream in my tea and have never drank soft drinks.
My Doctor wants me to commit to this for a year. I started the week before Thanksgiving and have lost 20 lbs thus far. I have not been perfect but have been doing Very good!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!