Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
Rhonda: Question for you. I have the star block pattern. I need to make a 9" finished star block. With my measurements, I come up with a 2.75" template to be used, is this correct? Not sure. I would make 16 pieced blocks which will measure 11' then when assemble comes to 9.5" unfinished. Could you let me know your expertise? i know this is a different page than that, but was having a hard time finding the right thread to open.
Yes you are right. 2 3/4 + 2 3/4+ 4 6/4 so then you would have 4 plus 4/4ths and 2/4ths or in other words 5 1/2 so drop the 1/2 for seam allowances and you get two blocks would be 5" sewn. so 2 sets of 5 is 10 drop the 1/2" for seam allowances gives you 9 1/2".

I just added the explanation in case anyone else would like to see how you get to the 9 1/2"

Also when I am in doubt I cut out blocks of copy paper and use it as fabric. YOu can sew them and iron them just like fabric. You do have to be careful you don't pull on them too hard tho as the seaming will create a perforation and pulling can cause them to come apart. But you can preview sizes this way and see exactly how it will turn out without wasting any fabric.