Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM
DawnFurlong

Originally Posted by jimthegoatman View Post
rewiring a 15-91 is not for the inexperienced. the $150.00 seems a little pricey, but it depends on what you get.
for that rice would expect to replace the light assembly, disassemble the motor completely, new wire to the field coils
clean the commutator, degrease the motor housing replace brushes if necessary. remove all possible parts, for cleaning/degreasing. supply new 123 cord, new bobbin case, new electronic foot control, new needle and slide
plates, new bed tension. obviously reassemble and test sew out.
jimthegoatman
Thank you for the information. I am going to bookmark this one for future reference!!

Unfortunately, I don't believe he was as thorough as this. Some of the things you list were done, others not (or done differently than I am reading they should be done). I no longer have exposed wires, I know the wires to the foot pedal and power cord are new (I could have done that) - but didn't replace the light or rewire, simply put double insulating casing around those wires. Believe that is what he also did with wires going to the motor (which looked shiny, silver when I took them in - they were totally exposed between the motor and the 3 pin terminal as the casing had turned to goo and I had carefully wiped all that off - machine unplugged of course). Cleaning/tune up seems to have primarily pertained to all that was under the front face plate and the tension housing. The man is helpful over the phone, knowledgeable about older sewing machines and I guess in his experience sees it differently as to what should be done.

I would say that before I take my machine in for any other work/servicing - I will know exactly what is being done. I will go about this in a different way.

All that said, I can say that my sewing machine sews wonderfully, and while I thought it sewed beautifully before, it does sew even better now with a tune-up/rebuild of the tension.