Old 02-03-2012, 02:09 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vintage.Singers.NYC View Post
Hi Miriam, I'm not sure what you mean by "a big old belt on the bottom" of the machine. Do you mean inside the machine, like when you look inside it from the bottom? If so, the Singer 237 does not. The interior is entirely made from metal parts, the only belt is the one connected to the motor.

The Singer 206s, 306s and 319s all have fiber timing belts inside them, if that's what you mean; but the 237 is a different animal.

- Rain
I do not mean the 206, 306 and 319 - there are others that look like the 237 but aren't as well made apparently.
I opened one that looked like that and plastic gear parts fell out.
But I noticed it had a knock out for a treadle belt for those who find a good one and want to treadle it. The machines I've seen with the plastic belts had other plastic and stamped parts as well. I did not know there was one out there that was any good. I'll be sure to watch for one.

The 319 I have has a fiber and metal belt inside and it is down the side - it is not across the bottom like I am referring to as junk machines. The third picture down shows that belt on the far right http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t162425.html in this link

Rain, I love the info on your blog - I am one of your followers

Last edited by miriam; 02-03-2012 at 02:23 AM.