Thread: Please Help!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Sounds like you need some friends to come help you out. As KSdot wrote, you may need to seek out your local guild. If you get the help to organize it you could rent a merchant booth at a local quilt show. The thing with yard sales is that people expect deep discounts so you will not get what you paid for it. I have gone to some estate sales that were selling quilt shop quality fabric for around $5 per yard (name brand stuff like Hoffman, Kona bay, etc) and Jo Annes/Walmart quality fabric for $2. I felt that was a fair price even though some of the fabrics I knew were several years old and probably bought for $5 per yard or less but in speaking with the people selling many people did not. It was half of what you would pay at a store today so I found it fair and all the fabric was in excellent like new condition. I got some beautiful stuff and was happy with my purchases.

You will only be able to sell the fabric if it is in like new condition and if your home is non smoking and also no pets have been able to get to where you have it stored. While many of us love our furkids, there are just as many who are deathly allergic and can not consider buying fabric that has had cats or dogs near it.

If the fabric has been stored a long time and is musty smelling or faded or if mice have gotten into it you will have to sell it at a steep discount like $1 or $2 per yard or even less depending on condition.

Additionally it is not easy to get the word out to local quilters without the help of a guild. You could advertise a yard sale on Craigs List and make sure you use words like quilting, sewing, material and fabric in your ad so when people do searches it will come back. Log it in yard sales and in arts and crafts.

The items for sale here also need to be yard sale price and you need to be more active on the board, I believe. I never go into that section and since the board changed I don't know the rules. If you go to that section of the board, the rules are posted. You could try selling on E-bay. Many people sell fabric there but you need to be able to post pictures of it and again, you need to get it organized.

If you mention where you are located I am sure members of the QB that live nearby will definitely offer to come help you out and even buy some of your fabric. I know I would consider it if you lived close to me.

If recouping some of your cost is not a concern you can always donate it.