View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 AM
dixie_fried

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
very cool. love everything about this quilt. do the blocks in the chain change color or is that just the play of light?! you need to tell me about the dyeing ! i so want to do this , too!
The photos are pre-wash.
The center of the chain (berry color) is the most consistent of the dye jobs...they are all berry and do show different in the light. The yellow green is slightly variegated, and the indigo is just plain splotchy in the picture, but, I didn't notice it until I saw the photos.
I didn't really intend to dye the solids, but, I could not find fabric to pull from the back, so I got a navy for the main color and used a red violet. The berry was a pink that also went into a red violet bath. The yellow green started out as unbleached cotton and I layered yellow and green until it looked right. I used I-dyes, as that's what I could source locally. Any future dyes I will order from Dharma Trading company and use fixatives because the purples ran pretty bad and the green is now an olive shade. 3 color catchers came out of the wash royal purple.
It's not ruined, but, it's not what I intended.
It truly was a fun process, and I'm more happy with the results than anything else I've made so far. (not saying a lot since this is only number 3 or 4).